Thursday, May 13, 2010

Meet Celt



Well this Celt and the ugly bugger with him is my brother in-law Wayne. To be honest me and Wayne have not always seen eye to eye in the past but he really is what you’d call ‘salt of the earth’. Wayne really should have been born centuries ago when living off the land was the norm, but unfortunately he’s been time warped to the present. The old lad has always taken his fair share of game (sometimes a little bit below the radar), he’s always had a freezer full of rabbit, pigeon, rook, pheasant etc and has always been there to rid a farmer of a particularly troublesome fox. He’s been waiting for a new dog for some time now and finally he’s got one; Celt.

Celt is a pure bred whippet from old Laguna coursing stock and this cute little tyke will definitely earn his crust in the years to come, working rabbits for Wayne. His life will not be the pampered one that most people assume it is when glancing at that miniature greyhound shivering by his owner (whippets shiver all the time, whether cold or just excited about the hunt). Celt has been bred as a working hound and you can see this early on, he’s more thickset and robust than the show dogs more commonly seen. Over his life Celt can expect to pick up far more injuries than a pet whippet, from knocked up toes and minor cuts too perhaps broken bones and major cuts, such is the lot of a working dog. But one thing that he can be sure of is that he’ll be loved and cared for as one of the family for all Wayne’s gruffness and moaning, deep down he’s as soft as hell. Yes Celt will work for his living but his rewards will far  greater than a lot of overfed pampered pouches being tortured with ‘kindness’ by people who don’t really understand their dog's needs that much. He’ll be loved, fed what he needs (not all the fancy treats that eventually kill ‘mans best friend'), and spend his time outdoors doing what he loves best – the hunt. So that’s Celt, hopefully I’ll be able to keep you updated on the little sod and his adventures as he learns about the world outside of Wayne’s garden.



Your friend,
John

14 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

I believe that much like humans, dogs are happier and healthier with a purpose. What a lucky pooch!
-Leigh

murphyfish said...

Leigh,
I have to agree with you there, without purpose there does seem little point. Mmmmm is drinking cider a purpose? Seriously though I think that Celt is heading for a great life, thank you for dropping by, you are always most welcome.
Regards,
John

Terria said...

Got me curious about Lucy, with your comments here. Just what is her purpose? I love all the photos and updates on Lucy and her life with you by the way!

Wolfy said...

Neat dog - it does seems to be a bit stockier than the whippets we're used to seeing - the ones that wear little coats and sit on the furniture.

It has always annoyed me on some level when I see dogs who's breed has been a working or hunting dog for eons turned into a fat housedog. On the other hand, as long as the people take care of the dogs, it's better than those who neglect their dogs.

Still, at the end of the day, I've never seen a dog happier than when it's ready to go hunting with it's master.

Bob Mc said...

Good for Wayne, and for Celt too. It's nice to see a dog relaxing peacefully by the hearth, but they need purpose too. Around here, that purpose is hunting. Keep us updated on the little sight hound's progress.

murphyfish said...

Hi Terria,
Never did find out what Lucy’s purpose is other than keep us on our toes. She’s a cross between a Boxer (dam) and Labrador (sire) and as much use as a chocolate fire guard when it comes to hunting. But as a guard dog she has no peers and gives myself and Clare all the confidence in the world whilst I work nights. I’m pleased that your enjoying our erratic life together, come to think of it her purpose is just to make me smile and she’s damn fine at that.

Hey Wolfy,
Oh Celt’s certainly going to be no pampered pooch; he’ll earn his keep alright. But you’re right my friend there’s a lot of dogs out there whose purpose has been lost through time and breeding. A dog looking prim in the show ring conforming to a set of rules stating stance, dimensions etc or a solid working hound and out doors companion? I know which one I’d choose. Even the bog monster will run all day (even at her age) when we’re ‘out there’; she may be no hunter but companion, guard and fun bundle she certainly is.

Hi Bob,
I’ll do my best to let you know how Celt develops, Wayne’s hoping to hold him back for at least 12 months before truly hunting with him but I’m sure that there will be plenty of tales to tell until then.

All,
Once again thank you for your time and comments, always appreciated.

John

Anonymous said...

Looks like that will be a tough bugger compared to skin and bones in the show rings.

That will be neat hearing some of Celt's tales in future posts. But are there any signs of Celt learning a thing or two through osmosis from Lucy? Or maybe the other way around? Oh, my....We're sure to be seeing trouble appear on TV screens across the U.S. that get BBC America!!

OK, I need to settle down and meditate. Ommm...

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

Cute little bugger. I'd give him a treat if I were you. (hee hee)

Keith said...

Celt looks cute, but also a little sad and worried. When I read your blog I think of my own dogs, they all got shot, acting as guard dogs. I do miss man's best friend, but I can't see me getting another one now.
I like wippets, my uncle Edwin had wippets in south wales. Good rabbit dogs.
Regards.

murphyfish said...

Owl,
Not to worry, I think that Lucy is beyond all that now and is very firmly stuck in her ways. Hopefully tales of Celt will become a regular part of this blog in the future.

Hi Karen,
Now what have I said about feeding em what they need, oh go on then just the one, he is a cute little bugger after all……

Hi Le Loup,
I’m sure that all whippets have that sad and worried look bred into them! Sorry to here about your misfortunes of the past with your dogs, surely there’s a breed that was popular in the 18th century that would make a good and useful work companion?

Thanks for the comments all, best regards,
John

Bob Mc said...

John, speaking of dogs from the 18th century. Have you ever read the book “Forty Four Years Of The Life Of A Hunter” by Meshach Browning? About life in Maryland, USA in the late 1700’s - early 1800’s. Browning’s favorite dogs for bear hunting were half greyhound and half bulldog. Exactly what you folks in the UK would call a lurcher today.

murphyfish said...

Bob,
Cheers for the heads up on the book, I'll try and source a copy (once I've finished this shift cycle). It's a cross that I've not heard of before, The lurcher's that I'm familiar with tend not to have such a thick set partner to go with the greyhound/whippet side of the mix, although I believe the 'original' bulldog was more 'Boxer' like than the really heavy set examples of today.
Best regards,
John

Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

Oh my goodness, what a CUTE face! I own one of those working dogs - a Border Collie. Unfortunately, I don't have sheep for her, but I also have no intention of turning her into a fat house pet! She gets her exercise, and loves herding the cats, the kittens, the neighbor's kids...
Working dogs love and need to work. Which is why I love, love, love the Iditarod, because there is nothing happier than a husky who is pulling a sled. The PETA people who say it's cruel can take a flying leap. Keep us updated on Celt's cuteness as he grows

murphyfish said...

Going to the Iditarod would really should be on my BS list. Your right about these dogs, they all need a purpose (Lucy's is mud before you ask). Updates on Celt are sure to follow, oh and BS; Before I'm Sixty not what you were thinking was it ;) Thanks for the comment,.
Regards,
John