Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's a dogs life...

            Bleedin’ hell it’s been a hot and humid afternoon today, quite a change from the morning’s rain. Digging the steps out in the redesigned front garden (will do a start to finish ish post when done) had me sweating me balls off (and that’s me being polite about it). So why is the Fish posting again so swiftly I hear you cry? Truth is I’m not sure me self, Clare has nipped out to see her best friend ‘Big Helen’, the Warthog has decided that sleep is the best option after driving me mental with her antics today and there is bugger all on the box. So Smirnoff Ice in hand I thought I’d tinker awhile upon the keyboard and see what happens. And you lot thought I was just an uncouth Hobbit who drank only Cider (that’ll be the next glass then)

            My aged parents popped around for a visit this morning, yep they’re still going strong with me dad full of the woes of the world and mother chirping on about my golden child of an older brother (child being the operative word). Why is it when your parents come around you always feel that all your house's short comings are under scrutiny? Dad never drinks tea or coffee here as the cat used to wander upon the kitchen worktops (it’s what they do for god’s sake!) even though she’s been gone a few years now he won’t change. So I sit there listening whilst big brother is talked about (not the awful T.V. thingy), how the government should have been labour and haven’t I finished the front garden yet? Don’t get me wrong I do love my parents with every fibre of my being, but bloody hell they could try the patience of a saint – and I certainly cannot be called one of them. Damn thing was after pawing them to bits and receiving all the fuss she could handle Willow had done her famous, quieter than a mouse in velvet slippers, disappearing act. A familiar chill crawled up my spine when I realised that she wasn’t resting at my feet all sweetness n light. I excused myself to the other room…. And sure enough there she was now fully engrossed in taking the heel out of mother’s best shopping shoes – bugger. Ah well exit a slightly miffed brace of parents, they smiled it off but both me and the Warthog knew they were not well pleased, not with Willow though… oh no, no, no… nope entirely my fault for not having any control of the hound from hell.

            So in slightly hard done mood I evicted the chickens from their abode whilst I gave it a good cleaning. Little C had provided me with yet another egg which means omelette tomorrow for me breakfast before shooting off to annoy Mr. Gray with some more irrelevant chicken questions. Little Penny is still sitting tight on her foster eggs but at least she will come out to feed, drink and deposit a rather large present of poo now without being coaxed. Even so I still try to get her off the nest and out n about for a few minutes each day as long as the garden has dried enough not to soak her feathered feet. Hopefully we may have some chicks to report on next Tuesday or Wednesday by my reckoning, fingers crossed.

            This evening I’ve restarted my attempt upon world domination, yes folks I’m back selling upon E-bay so hopefully our present financial woes may well be eased a tad. You may scoff but to be honest in the past I’ve conned erm earned some decent money from the dreaded ‘bay’ and if it helps me in my ambition to one day leave shift work behind me then so be it.

            And finally any of my posts would be incomplete without a couple of pictures of you know who…. Tis time to try and introduce her to the hens when they’re in the back yard out of the coup and run. So chickens released (or in Penny’s case crow-barred off the nest) Willow was allowed into the access bit along side of the bungalow with only a low gate (and me drinking tea right next to it) separating her from a mauling from the two ladies. She showed interest for a few minutes but then that turned into her favourite pastime at the moment – chewing inanimate objects, namely the gate.







            All in all a small success but I still don’t trust her with the ladies yet, maybe never the little tyke. Hope you’ve enjoyed my basic ramblings about.. well about sod all really. Time for that cider me thinks.....

Till the next time you all take care,

John

15 comments:

Damn The Broccoli said...

Ah it is ever our place to feel like children in the presence of the parents.

My dad hasn't quite grasped that I can make my way in the Big Wide yet, despite having done far more than he has in my shorter years.

Not sure he ever will either and my mum is as bad.

By the way, I've liberated the chess board from the dusty nethers of the Sideboard, that offer still stand?

Oh I nearly forgot, Smirnoff Ice? I do hope that was the last thing in the cupboard...

murphyfish said...

Eh Up Damn my man,
Indeed I feel it is the fate of us all to feel as children when parents come to visit, hells teeth they don't even know 'bout me tattoos yet - what would they say!

Of course the chess offer still stands we'll have to sort something out - a cider on the outcome?

The SM was on offer - really cheap honest, anyway tis only the thirst quencher before the main even ;o)(knew I should never have admitted to it - curses)

2 Tramps said...

Oh, John, you do have the gift of a scribe! You brighten my chore toiling afternoon with your antics. My Mom was just here for a stay and I used to feel the same scrutiny but I have given up. By telling myself I am who I am - live with it, I was actually able to relax and not care... as much... And now you have me longing for a nice cold gin and tonic instead of the iced coffee that I am consuming! Time difference and all...

Hope you do make a smoker!

Bob Mc said...

Good luck with the setting hen. I have one in the process of hatching out the 11 eggs she has been brooding at this very moment. No pics or video. I have a sick and dieing computer here that will no longer allow me to do such things. A new one should arrive at my doorstep in a few days.

John Going Gently said...

text me when you are coming tomorrow!

Gorges Smythe said...

My late dad was a saint, my mother, less so, so I know your feelings. Sister was doted upon, but never amounted to anything, so I never had to bear your sibling thing. We keep our little dog well supplied with rawhide bones and that seems to save a lot of other things. Willow may be getting rid of her last baby teeth. Only time will tell about the chickens and her.

Unknown said...

my parents usually drive me to the cocktail of kaluha and lucozade! or pims and ketchup or anything there is. love mine too, but they don't get my frugal and can't understand me.........i already need creme de menthe and cola at the thought of them xxx

Kath said...

When my family visit, we have to endure constant comments of "arent those dogs excitable".
I guess it could have something to do with the way the visitors wind them up, but it falls on deaf ears...
At least I have trained them not to put their cups of tea where the dogs can reach them LOL

murphyfish said...

“T’s,
I try and tell myself ‘I am who I am’ but when it comes to the oldies the veneer always seems to crack! Never mind the time difference if the need is there go for the beer is what I always say ;o)

Oh and plans are already being formulated for the building of a smoker.

Bob Mc,
Awaiting the arrival of you new computer with baited breath my man, then you can be sending pics of the hens.

John G.
Be there about ten ish? (Would text but cannot find your bleedin number - Doh)

Mr. Smythe,
It’s not that I don’t love me brother it just grates that he can never do wrong and yet with all the opportunities life has offered him he could have achieved so much instead of just letting it slip through his ale holding fingers.

I think eventually Willow will be ok with the chucks, as long as she’s in plain site that is!

FQ,
Well good morning me dear I hope that the crème de menthe did the trick ;o) Parents eh? But without them I guess we would be here to berate them, still me thinks I’ll be getting a cattle prod for the next time they visit…..

murphyfish said...

Bloody hell Kath you sneaked in under the radar then me dear! Yes it's funny that when they rub your dog's ears, speak to them in that squeaky voice they reserve for animals and young children (and me sometimes) and then they expect your dogs to sit quietly whilst they're actually now trembling with excitement! But of course it's going to be my fault next time it all goes Pete Tong...

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

I bet the shoes were ugly. (giggle)

Jennytc said...

She might be a minx at times but she looks such a little sweetie. :)

murphyfish said...

Karen,
Well they were afterwards ;o)

Jennyta,
Mmmmm she's good at pulling the wool over the eyes of the unknowing!

Kim said...

This post made me smile - a lot!! It sounds like a day here at Peapods - visiting parents, dog, chickens... trying to stop the dog eating house/parents/chickens.... I think I may leave home and see how they all get on together!!

murphyfish said...

Hi Kim,
Now there's an idea, glad the post made you smile...