Monday, July 18, 2011

Tried n survived.....

Afternoon all,


Tis I the amazing Murphyfish fresh from another glorification of stupid mangers and base stupidity that be 'the grind'.But tis not this that the title of survival refers to, oh most certainly not good reader. tis indeed survival of an entirely different and more pleasurable matter.


Cast your minds back many, many moons ago to this dim and distant post. tis not the painful memories that it brings about over my beloved bog monster that I refer too either, although it's always nice to have them prod me now and then., indeed not but it's the account of my first effort of producing one of my very own 'five a day' fruit supplements that our government seem so keen on - yep Cider (me thinks that's not exactly what they had in mind).


So yesterday brother in-law Wayne pops around for his weekly, see what he can scrounge, visit and unable to prise anything of value fro my clammy fingers resorts into persuadable dialogue hoping to force me into opening one of the bottles from last years efforts. It wasn't difficult to be honest, work has been more than the usual grind lately so a little fortification seemed a good idea. 


Thing is up until now I haven't had the courage to try one of me own brews.... I mean it could taste foul, it may be the best bowel emptier known to science, folk may well snigger, nay titter at my pathetic efforts.... but with Wayne's mithering and my bullhead squarely in place a bottle was brought forth from the inner sanctum known to ye mortals as the garage and....


Well bloody hell fire what a revelation, from popping, yes and I do mean popping with an audibly loud pop, the ceramic top to the first tentative gulp to the last draining of the remaining drips I can most definitely say that my own home brewed cider is absolutely spot on. Unbelievably I know but honestly true, tis as dry as hell but with no chemical taste what so ever just a suitably applely cider taste that tickles the taste buds and demands it to be savoured. Yep I can with all honesty say that it's not a bad brew at all and it has a grand kick with both our faces colouring up nicely, trouble is now me thinks that my small amount produced last year will not last the week - bugger. 


One thing then I'm going to ramp up production this Autumn with a target of at least 10 demi jons to be filled with this amber nectar so if any one has any of the 'grolsch' type bottles with the wired ceramic tops going spare I'm sure that we could come to some sort of arrangement - I'm in need of loads of the buggers so let me know if would be so kind.


Right off to try and sort out a seriously broody bantam and then a glass or three of cider me thinks...




Till the next time take care my friends,


John

7 comments:

Meanqueen said...

Methinks I might pop in there, where is your abode exactly? :o)

Martijn Top said...

Great that it turned out so well.
Enjoy the fruits of your labor... or waiting :)

Gorges Smythe said...

Congrats on the brew! Now do a little math to figure your needs for next year and add some for the brother-in-law. Best of luck on the coming brewing season!

Mark Kautz said...

Bottling your own is always an adventure. Glad yours turned out good. Keep up the good work.

Mark

CDGardens said...

I do remember the beginning of your cider experiment. Certainly glad to read it has turned out to be exactly what will quench the thirst.

Damn The Broccoli said...

Great stuff, there is still a bottle or two need dusting of in my store cupboard, they must have aged nicely by now. I intend to make as much as I can this year.
Demijohns are all well and good but you can get mixed results over a batch. What happens is one dj gets the best yeast and another doesn't so you either have to blend them later meaning an average quality or you bottle them separately then pull your hair out when each bottle tastes different. I recommend buying a big brewing keg, I have a 25 litre one, for things like cider and then country wines when cider has finished! Takes up less space as well leaving you more room for more cider!

With regard to bottles, see if you can find a pub locally that does grolsch in a pop top bottle. If so you can probably get all the bottles for free you want as generally they will have to pay to get rid otherwise.

Helene Burnett said...

Congrats to the blossoming Brewmaster! I'll bet you're glowing with well deserved pride.
What are you planning for the broody Banty -- breaking her out of broodiness or stealing eggs? Good luck on the latter. We had a Broody banty we re-named Godzilla!