Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Well there's a surprise..

                Well yesterday the forecast for today was rain, torrential and unceasing rain – with some showers thrown in for good measure. Now with a problem of pooling water in Fluttering Heights due to the type of slaps that the chicken run I built stands upon I spent the majority of yesterday laying twenty new slaps to enable the water to run off and drain freely, surrounded by the extra wet relief security of six bags of gravel. I’ll let you into a secret dear reader after completing the job in my usual meticulous manor I was bloody well knackered.  So with the deluge of biblical proportions anticipated, the chickens no longer in fear of having to start saying quack instead of cluck and my back in more than two pieces I laid plans of the internal type for today, which did not impress the Warthog as a decent walk was off the cards. So settling my head upon my pillow I drifted off to sleep with thoughts of cider making and adding some more sloe gin to my already burgeoning collection of homemade liquid refreshment.

                Once awoken this morning but still on remote I stumbled to my keyboard, a very large mug of tea grasped vice like in me mitts, and commenced upon uploading a few photographs onto face book in a vain and pointless attempt to impress folk with my artistic and technical brilliance – not. Yes before you start, I do know that I have an inferiority complex, but it’s not a very good one at that! It slowly dawned on me that there was absolutely no sign of the forecast rain whatsoever, no patter of raindrops on the roof, no tsunami like wave threatening to wash Buckley into the abyss, nothing not a sausage not even the tiny but tell tale specks of water upon my upraised face. Mmmmm well the apples will keep awhile and the sloes can be done tonight thought I as Willow looked on expectantly. Ten minutes later we’re thrashing the Fun Cruiser through Mold (thank god that police car didn’t turn around) heading for the deserted quarry at Hendre. Err... where trespassing is not allowed, but then again if it was it wouldn’t be trespassing then would it, I suppose!

                The walk was wonderful, not because of heights traversed; indeed the real hills could be seen only in the distance.

Moel Arthur

                Not because it was of any distance either, in fact in the hours that we were out us probably only covered four miles, if that. Well ok Willow probably covered twenty as she really hit top speed today and it was with sheer pleasure and a good deal of chuckling that I watched as she tore around the spartan grasses. To be honest I don’t really know why it was so wonderful, it just seemed that for the first time in a long time that I stepped forth on a trail with a little glimmer of hope here about the future. Of course all expectations and even the dared dream can be smashed and torn from us by this sometimes cruel life, but not today. So instead of the trail lifting my spirits it simply added to my feeling of wellbeing, it won’t last I know but to have a few moments of inner calmness once in awhile is something that usual eludes this little rotund Hobbit so yes, this was a wonderful walk.
               
                Not even the Warthogs persistence in trying to ruin every waterside shot I tried couldn’t dampen my spirits, and it looked as if she was going to be the only creature near water that I’d capture for you (nothing new there then).



                So there are not too many pictures this time to tell the tale of the walk just these few;










                Oh but I very nearly forgot! Regular readers here about (up to eight on a weekend) will know of my frustration at my lack of fauna photographs with only able to capture some grainy shots of mostly uninteresting flora. But not this time aha for this time we have....wait for it..... a.... bug.  Well actually dragonflies. We’d settled by one of the small pools, ok I’d settled by one of the small pools whilst the Warthog made merry once more to watch the mating dance of these incredible flying insects. Not for one instant did I think of taking a picture until that was I spied a solitary one (probably all sexed out) resting in the rushes, so snippety snap and hey presto a dragonfly for your pleasure;


                I then even tried to capture them on the wing whilst they were... err... distracted in their antics. And bugger me the shots didn’t turn out so bad after all;



                Could this be the beginning of an improvement in pictures here on this excuse for a blog? I doubt it but hey ho life goes on.

                We arrived back at the Fun Cruiser in a buoyant mood, which was really nessary being as it did rain today.

Did I not mention I'm Welsh?

 ‘Till next time, take good care my friends,

John

15 comments:

John Going Gently said...

You should sell some of your wildlife photos john
Try sending a few

Kath said...

I say, young Warthog is looking very lithe and willowy. They say we choose dogs whose attributes we admire...well I always wanted long slender legs LOL

murphyfish said...

mmmm me thinks that might be a tad out of my skills John, Oh you busy next? week drop me a line and I'll pop n see you if you'd like.

murphyfish said...

Me too Kath! and not these short furry ones of mine!

Gorges Smythe said...

Glad you managed to steal a few hours on the trail!

Jean said...

Dear John, glad you went for the walk - what's a little rain to a welshman, the photos are great - you should do this more often as they say, "practice makes perfect".

Damn The Broccoli said...

You know on that second photo all I can think of is the Ride of the Valeries for some reason.

Anonymous said...

Those photos are absolutely spectacular!!!

murphyfish said...

It was pleasant Mr. Smythe...

murphyfish said...

Thank you Jean, ah but if only I could walk the trails always....

murphyfish said...

Eh up Damn, more like the monster from the black lagoon....

murphyfish said...

Thank you Lon, I'm glad they gave you some pleasure.

bigcatdetective said...

Kin excellent dragon flies pics there,very impressed.2nd one worthy to be on a calendar i reckon......

Rachel Flowers said...

Lovely pics -I can SMELL the rain :)

murphyfish said...

Thanks Rachel ;-)